Edward Ball considered Wakulla Springs one of the most serene places he’d ever visited, and in 1935, he set out to build the Lodge at Wakulla Springs and construction began. He had bought the Springs and Lodge site in 1931 after the “land boom,” which began in the 1920s when people started buying property in Florida. The original roof was made of wood and steel, but when replaced after a fire was reinforced with slate and metal on steel. Ball chose Tennessee marble for the floors, baseboards, thresholds, counters, stairwells, desk tops and table tops. Heart cypress is used throughout the Lodge. Lobby ceilings were painted with local wildlife scenes, there is an iron staircase and original elevator, both in Art Deco style. The Lodge was used as a military training facility during World War II.
More Info: Website
More Info: Facebook
More Info: Instagram
Return to: People's Choice Florida Building Survey