Originally the Palm Beach Inn and opening on January 16, 1896, The Breakers Resort is steeped in Florida history. As Henry Flagler, partner of John D. Rockefeller in the Standard Oil Company extended the Florida East Coast Railroad farther south, he developed hotels along the way. The Palm Beach Inn was on the front portion of Royal Poinciana’s property. Guests repeatedly asked to stay “down by the breakers,” which is how the resort ultimately got its name.
On June 9, 1903, The Breakers burned down; however, Flagler announced they would rebuild The Breakers reopened in 1904. At that time, the Breakers was a colonial-style building, constructed of wood and containing 425 rooms. In 1925, The Breakers burned down a second time. The new Breakers was built in 1926, and the architectural firm Schultze and Weaver chose the Italian Renaissance architectural style. Seventy-two artisans painted the high-arched ceilings of the lobby and first-floor rooms. The Florentine Dining Room ceiling was modeled after the Palazzo Davanzati (ca. 1400) in Florence. The Breakers also features North and South Loggias and terraces and patios.
Photos Courtesy of The Breakers Palm Beach.
More Info: Website
More Info: Facebook
More Info: Instagram
Return to: People's Choice Florida Building Survey