Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart’s Barat campus is located in a historically designated section of Miami’s Coconut Grove. The School’s master plan called for a new Convocation Center to serve their elite dance, performing arts and music programs. The master plan also called for
the architecture to complement the traditional, Mediterranean vernacular architectural style typical to South Florida in the early 1900’s. This vision was grounded on the Campus’ three flagship historically designated buildings of that period – the original Gate House at its entrance; the Trinita building, originally a carriage house; and, the site’s crowning jewel, the El Jardín building located
at the center of its campus. At the site of the new Convocation Center existed the Barry Building, a simple 1960’s era campus/auditorium building structure, with its inadequate auditorium
interrupting the view from the street to the beautiful El Jardin. The Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart Barry Building Addition and Alterations project completes Carrollton’s Barat Campus Master Plan vision and succeeds in re-establishing the visual corridor from the campus entrance to El Jardín, as well as providing a formal entrance for visitors to the High School.
Return to: People's Choice Florida Building Survey