The original Tice Grammar School was constructed in 1927. The historical building is constructed from masonry with concrete floors and a low-slope concrete roof with parapets to be as sturdy as possible. It has two floors above a full basement, which would flood regularly. It was renovated in 1945 and a food service building was added in 1955. It was a center of community activity and also served as an emergency shelter. A metal building was added to campus in 1969 and in the 1970s, pumps were added to solve the basement flooding problem, allowing the school to expand its community programming. A major renovation in 1987 restored the main building to its original appearance and upgraded classrooms and another renovation in 2010 touched every area of the campus. Two new buildings, sympathetic to the Spanish Colonial Revival style of the historic building, were added and the older food service and metal buildings were demolished.
Return to: People's Choice Florida Building Survey